Sustainability Integration: 2020 IAPCO Conference & General Assembly
Creating an environmentally friendly experience.
The MCI Canada team was co-host to the 2020 IAPCO Conference and General Assembly, inviting over 100 high-level leadership from Professional Congress Organizers around the world.
IAPCO has always had a strong focus on sustainability, so as hosts of the 2020 Conference, our team worked in collaboration with all the event’ stakeholders to create an environmentally friendly experience:
- Followed IAPCO Plastic Pledge ensuring an entirely plastic free conference
- Delegate bags made from re-purposed street banners that were donated
- These bags were manufactured by a company that provides flexible training and employment for women who are newcomers to Canada, living with mental health challenges, or who are experiencing other employment barriers
- Provided rubberised stainless-steel bottles to reduce the use of plastic bottles
- Hosted at the Vancouver Convention Centre, West Building – the world’s first double LEED Platinum certified convention centre
- Locally sourced, healthy food choices including Ocean Wise seafood, where possible
- Transportation/shuttles used electric vehicles to reduce the carbon footprint
- Name badges that were 100% recyclable paper
- Lanyards were made from a variety of reground and melted materials manufactured in Canada and ‘borrowed’ from the Vancouver Lanyard Library, and returned, to be re-used and reduce waste